There is actually a name for the dreaded irritation caused by your ring and this common name is “Wedding Ring Dermatitis”. This is when there is an irritation on the skin under the ring, which causes the skin to get red, dry and itchy.
Why is my skin going red and getting irritated under my ring?
These skin irritations can happen when wearing jewellery for many different reasons, including materials being added to silver and gold, tarnishing on metals, skin perspiration and dirt and product build-up under jewellery worn next to the skin.
What metals or materials are best to prevent skin irritation?
Both silver and gold are quite soft metals and to make them harder and more durable, require additives, such as nickel and copper to make the metal stronger. Often these additives are what cause allergic reactions and irritations.
Silver in particular often tarnishes and oxidizes when in contact with air and also the acid on the skin. This oxidization appears causes jewellery to become discoloured, usually with a dark to black surface on the silver, which can be wiped off with a cleaning cloth. If not cleaned regularly this discolouration can also appear on the skin and cause irritation.
Here at DDS Diamond Design Studios we only recommend using Palladium rich 18ct white gold without Nickel, or Platinum with is 95% pure and less likely to not cause reactions and irritations. These metals can be quite pricey, but well worth it, if it means less skin irritations and better quality jewellery.
What can I do to stop the allergic reaction?
It’s also important to keep your skin and jewellery clean from perspiration, dirt, bacteria and product build-up. If you tend to perspire a lot, then make sure your jewellery is sized accordingly and not too tight, this will allow air to reach the skin and the skin to breathe. It’s also important to have times where you are not wearing any jewellery at all, preferably when you sleep, having a shower or doing the dishes, as this both allows your skin time to breathe, but it will also prevent product build-up between the skin and ring. A simple way to keep your jewellery and rings clean is to dip it in alcohol, so that it can kill off any bacteria.
Speak to us today about the best jewellery solutions we recommend for sensitive skin.